Are you a professional, entrepreneur, businessman, or a student? Are you interested in self-development and promotion?
Here is how coaching can help you move forward.
Coaching comes in a wide range of flavours, but the overarching goal is to help you be the very best version of yourself in various specific ways and as a whole person.
The experience feels like a blend of therapy, board discussion, and Olympic cross-training. The focus is on your advancement as you define it, a definition that usually evolves. A coach doesn’t have to have all the control to be helpful, but familiarity with your world never hurts.
If you’re considering coaching, here are 12 ways you might benefit:
- Hard results – greater productivity, faster promotions
- Deeper learning – about yourself, how you’re perceived, where you can improve
- Faster action – advancing things faster and with greater precision
- Space to hear your own voice – to talk something through and gain perspective
- Awareness of perspectives, beliefs, and attitudes that may be holding you back
- Support and confidence to “lean in” and make bold moves
- Clarity on your values and what you stand for, which leads to greater conviction
- Ideas for ways to improve that you may not see – awareness of blind spots
- Emotional support, empathy, and encouragement – feels less lonely
- The cold truth others won’t tell you
- Third-party moderation for 360-reviews, strategic planning, and conflict resolution
- Support for improving specific skills – communication, delegation, conflict management, team building, persuasion, etc.
Coaching gives incredible leverage points for growth, but isn’t a panacea. It won’t work for someone who doesn’t have a desire to learn and grow. In some situations, consulting or therapy may be more appropriate.
So, if you’re the type of person who wants to grow and improve, and is willing to trust someone to support you, working with a coach is a powerful technique for you to try.
The experience may feel non-linear, but you might be surprised by the ways you benefit.